Summer is here and Schroon Lake is beautiful. Will it stay that way? That is up to you and me. Protecting our lake, river and watershed is a job no one person can do alone. We need a team pulling together to protect this beautiful area. That team is the EAST SHORE SCHROON LAKE ASSOCIATION (ESSLA). With members from all around the lake, this association conducts a relentless fight to protect and preserve this watershed.
What can you do? Join ESSLA and be part of the ongoing effort to keep Schroon Lake the beautiful place it is. Membership is only $25.00 per household per calendar year and it is tax deductible. By joining you are helping more than you may realize. Yes, the $25.00 helps our treasury. Moreover, having a large and active association allows us to have influence not only within our three towns and the Adirondack Park, but more importantly, it gives us a voice in statewide associations.
Tell you what, on Saturday August 18th at 4:00 PM we are holding our annual ice cream social in the park at Adirondack. Stewart’s provides the ice cream and ESSLA provides the setting and does the serving. It is free to everyone from all around the lake and river, so bring your kids, parents and grandparents. Meet our members and join the East Shore Schroon Lake Association.
What does the East Shore Schroon Lake Association do?
- Collect water samples from several locations around the entire lake to be tested for biological problems.
- Collect water samples several times a year from sections of the north and south basin for chemical analysis.
- Monitor water clarity throughout the year.
- Milfoil scout program that provides early detection of any new milfoil sites.
- Free boater safety course each year.
- 2 Floating Classrooms to educate children and adults on the state of our lake and the things that impact it.
- 2 membership meetings each year where we have speakers of interest and where we solicit input from our members.
- Maintain a website (www.essla.org) where we post minutes of board meetings and items of interest.
- Host Facebook pages: @essla.org and @Supporters of East Shore Schroon Lake Association
- Conduct fundraising to pay for our activities.
- Attend water quality meetings at the Warren County Soil and Water office where we are kept abreast of the actives and plans for our area.
- Groups that we partner with:
- Paul Smiths College Adirondack Watershed Institute (AWI)
- Warren County Soil and Water Conservation District
- The Adirondack Lakes Alliance (ALA)
- The New York Federation of Lakes Association
- The Adirondack Park Invasive Plant Program (APIPP)
- The Lake Champlain Lake George Regional Planning Board (LCLGRPB)
- The Schroon Lake, Paradox Lake, Brant Lake and Loon Lake Associations
- The Schroon Lake Steering Committee (SLSC) where we work closely with our sister association the SLA, the three town’s and Warren & Essex Counties Soil & Water Conservation Districts. We work to implement the recommendations found in our Watershed Management Plan, a plan your association helped put together.
- Attend and participate in conferences addressing the many issues impacting our area.
Join ESSLA today and take the pledge to protect Schroon Lake, River and watershed now and into the future.